Tuesday 23 July 2013

Steak Knives

Why should you invest in a quality steak knife?

This week I decided that it was time to invest in some steak knives. What was my motivation? Why do I need steak knives? To cut meat obviously, but I already have steak knives. Is this another toy or is this a must have for any pitmaster.

The steak knives that were in my kitchen drawer are the standard cheap serrated steak knives. I never use them to cut my steak, because they work like a saw and tear up my meat. On average I buy steaks that cost between $20 - $50 and to destroy them with these steak knives is a real shame. What I like to do is use my chef's knives to cut my meat and the meat for my guests. I find that the meat cools to fast for my guests to have a warm steak. So... there was only one solution left, invest in some steak knives.
  1. I don't want the kind that are serrated and tear up my meat. 
  2. I don't want to invest a ton of money and... 
  3. I want them to look good.
I searched online for some I liked, checked out some reviews and voila. 

Are these the best knives money can buy? No these are around $80 in a set of 6. They are not the expensive kind, called Laguiole en Aubrac. However they will get the job done and look good while doing it. They have a rosewood handle and are obviously handmade.





They look way better then my old knives and even more important function a lot better.



This is where you can see the difference between a high quality laguiole and this one. The engraving are of a lower quality, the bee doesn't look as good and the wobbel in the blade is not very obvious.


Conclusion

Does a pitmaster need steak knives? Yes he does, when you spend that much money on meat a steak knive is a must have. What do you need?
  • a sharp knive
  • not serrated
If you have more than $80 to spend and you want your knives to look good you could buy some quality laguiole steak knives or invest in some German quality knives.