This is a spin-off from a classic recipe that was invented in 1738. In the classic recipe the scotch egg is fried instead of smoked. Of coarse I had to change that and what better way than bacon wrapping it and smoking it on a cedar plank.
It has really powerfull flavors and is very savoury.
- one egg
- filling of one pork sausage
- 6 slices of thin cut bacon.
- Soak a cedar plank in water for a few hours
- Cook the egg for 4 - 8 minutes. (4 min. soft - 6 min medium - 8 min hard)
- Take the filling out of the sausage
- Make a patty out of the filling and wrap the egg carefully in the filling
- Wrap the egg in bacon
- Place the egg on the cedar plank and the plank over direct fire
- BBQ temperature should be somewhere around 200 deg Celsius or 400 deg Fahrenheit.
- Smoke for 20 minutes
- Ready to serve.
Check out the video below on how to make this snack